Smart Capital. Active Network. Great Entrepreneurs.
Providing exceptional early stage startups the capital and network needed to build great businesses.
Who We Are
The Syndicate Fund is an early stage venture capital fund that provides entrepreneurs capital and access to our network of Syndicate members.
- A founders first fund created by experienced entrepreneurs.
- Access to a network of successful, vested individuals while maintaining a clean cap-table.
- The opportunity to pitch the Syndicate members for additional capital.
- Quick decisions, real feedback.
- Diversify your investment strategy through a portfolio of pre-vetted venture deals.
- Access to the competitive fundraising rounds of phenomenal early stage startups.
- Mentor, advise, and make a difference for amazing entrepreneurs.
- Easily invest additional capital in your favorite deals, hassle free, at your sole discretion.
1. The Syndicate Fund (TSF) management team sources, vets, and makes investment decisions from their traditional early stage venture fund in pre-seed and seed stage startups with high growth potential.
2. Once TSF has formally committed the startup has the opportunity to provide diligence information (supplemented by an investment overview provided by the TSF team) and reach out to our Syndicate members to pitch for additional capital.
3. Syndicate members have two weeks to make additional commitments to our entrepreneurs.
4. TSF collects all additional commitments and closes on behalf of both the fund and the Syndicate, maintaining a clean cap table for our entrepreneurs.
5. TSF’s team and our Syndicate members remain engaged as active mentors, as needed, for our portfolio.
Brett Brohl is the founder and Managing Director of The Syndicate Fund. He is an entrepreneur first. With multiple exits and at least one failure under his belt, he understands how hard it is to build a company. He is the entrepreneur in residence at the Techstars Retail Accelerator and was the Director of Techstars Startup Next Food & Ag. Brett holds an MBA from The Darden School of Business and is an Adjunct Professor of Entrepreneurship at the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Business. On Twitter @brettbrohl
- Ryan Broshar | Adviser
Ryan has been working in and with early stage businesses for his entire career. Ryan is the Founder and Managing Director for Matchstick Ventures and the Techstars Retail Accelerator. Broshar is also Co-Founder of Beta.MN and Twin Cities Startup Week. Prior to venture capital, Ryan was a founder of multiple startups. On Twitter @rbroshar.
- Will Allen | Adviser
William Allen is an entrepreneur and investor in early stage companies. He was the COO of Behance before their acquisition by Adobe, and prior to that lead global partnerships at TED. On Twitter @williamallen
- Matt Johnson | Adviser
Matt is an entrepreneur, recovering attorney, and angel investor. After a three years of law practice Matt left his legal career to co‐found Contour Innovations. Matt acted as Contour’s CEO through 3 rounds of fund raising and exit. Matt is also the co‐founder of Able Seedhouse and Brewery in NE Minneapolis and an adviser to start‐ups.
- Janahan Rajaratnam | Associate
Janahan (Jan) is a tech guy, turned finance guy, turned back to tech guy. He did a stint working in institutional asset management before taking the leap into full-time entrepreneurship. In addition to the Syndicate Fund, Jan is also a freelance web developer and digital marketer through his company Valari Solutions. On Twitter @jrajaratnam
Where We Invest
The Syndicate Fund is focused on seed and pre-seed companies with operations in the United States. While opportunistic, our specific areas of interest include companies operating anywhere along the value chain in retail, marketing, food, & agriculture. If you are a passionate entrepreneur with a big vision that is smart, willing to work hard, and willing to learn we would love to talk.
Why We Started The Syndicate Fund
Entrepreneurship is hard. We have walked the path on our own and it sucks. When we finally found advocates, mentors, and advisers it was like flipping a switch. No entrepreneur should go it alone and we are here to do our best to help make sure that happens.
Power of the Network
Advice, rolodex, or just an ear that understands what you are going through. There is power in a network. All of the Syndicate members are ready and willing to connect with our entrepreneurs to try and help make a difference. We vet our members to make sure they genuinely want to help and once they join they are always vested in our company’s results.
The Syndicate Fund Education Events
In addition to investing in great startups, The Syndicate Fund is dedicated to ongoing education. To that extent we host public educational events for both investors and entrepreneurs. A well educated community is a community that is more comfortable investing & fundraising! Our goal is to make sure both new and seasoned investors are comfortable with current trends and entrepreneurs are well educated and prepared for the fundraising process. Register below for upcoming events
Next Event Coming Soon!
Check back soon for the next education event in 2018!Register Today
Interested in becoming a Syndicate member or chatting about your fundraise? We are happy to connect!